Any public business where alcohol is sold and consumed on its premises must be licensed by the state. A person must be at least 21 years of age to purchase, consume, or hold any kind of alcohol license in Utah. Applicants must also qualify to hold a DABS license and a criminal background check will be conducted.

Every individual who is employed to sell or furnish alcoholic beverages must complete and pass an approved alcohol server training prior to beginning work. Every manager employed in a DABS retail licensed business must also complete a manager training program and has 30 days to complete manager-specific training.

Utah separates alcoholic beverages into two categories: beer & liquor.

  • Beer:  The term "beer" and "light beer" by statute means a traditionally brewed beer that contains 5% or less of alcohol by volume (ABV) and is sold by beer distributors throughout the state to retail licensees and permit holders. Beer consumed on the premises of a retail business (such as restaurants or bars) must have both local and state licensing.
  • Liquor: Liquor includes distilled spirits, wine, flavored malt beverages, and "strong" or "heavy" beer containing more than 5% ABV.  All packaged liquor is sold in state-owned liquor stores or state authorized package agencies at prices set by the state. For businesses which serve any alcohol to the public for on premises consumption must have both the appropriate local and state licensing.


Retail and wholesale licenses and special use permits are issued by the Alcoholic Beverage Services Commission, a part-time governing board that meets only once a month. Because of this, you must submit your application(s) to the Licensing & Compliance Division by the 10th of the month to allow sufficient time for processing for that month. Once your application and supporting documents are complete, you will be notified of the meeting date and time that your application will be considered by the commission.

Read more about the factors the commission makes when granting licenses. Learn more about the DABS Commission.

Pro-rating the application fees is not available. For instance, restaurant licenses renew in September. If you pay all the application and licensing fees and obtain a restaurant license in September, you will still have to immediately renew the license and pay full renewal fees by the end of September.

All retail licenses renew annually. Beer only licenses must be renewed by January 31 and licenses run from March 1 to the last day in February. Bar licenses must be renewed by the last day of May and licenses run from July 1 until June 30. Restaurants, banquet, reception centers, resorts, arenas, hospitality amenities and hotel licenses must be renewed by September 30 and run from November 1 through October 31.

Read more about License Renewals.

Retail seasonal licenses may be obtained as well. A summer seasonal license runs from May 1 until October 31. Winter seasonal license runs from November 1 to April 30. However, fees will be the same as a full year license.

Every individual who is employed to sell or furnish alcoholic beverages, as well as managers, must complete and pass an approved alcohol server training before the first day of work. Every manager employed in a DABS retail licensed business must also complete a manager training program within 30 days of employment or promotion. Visit our Training page for more information.


The Licensee List is a comprehensive list of active licenses.


The Event Permit List is a comprehensive list of single event & temporary beer permits for the current calendar year.

On-Premises Retail licenses allow for the sale of alcoholic beverages to be consumed on premises are available for all restaurant types, banquet facilities, reception centers, qualified resorts, airport lounges, bars and beer recreational retailers such as, but not limited to, ski resorts, golf courses and bowling centers. All retail licenses will be required to meet proximity requirements to businesses who may be located too close to schools, churches, parks, playgrounds, and libraries.
Special Use Permits are issued for special use (religious wine, industrial or manufacturing, scientific or educational, and public service entities such as airlines, trains, etc.).