Alcohol Server Training and Education Classes

On Premise

On-Premise server training is for servers who serve alcoholic beverages in restaurants, bars, banquets, public venues, event permits, etc.


Every individual who is employed to sell or furnish alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, and those who manage or supervise the service of alcoholic beverages must:

  • Complete and pass an approved Alcohol Server Training every three years
  • Complete the training within 30 days of beginning employment

The Utah Division of Substance Abuse is responsible for evaluating and approving seminar programs taught by private trainers. These trainers:

  • Schedule their own classes
  • Have their own enrollment policies
  • Set their own fees

To take a class, you must deal directly with one of these State Approved Providers.  Make certain you take the ON-PREMISE training. You may also phone the Division of Substance Abuse at 801-538-3939 to request a current list of approved providers.

E.A.S.Y. or Off-Premise

The E.A.S.Y. or Off-Premise training is for those businesses that sell sealed beer "TO GO" such as grocery stores, convenience stores, etc.


The E.A.S.Y. Law requires mandatory training for each store employee that sells beer or directly supervises the sale of beer. Training is required within 30 days of hire and at least every 5 years thereafter. Stores may hire a trainer to train staff in person, purchase a training package to train their own staff, create and submit their own training for approval, or an individual may take online training.  Please note that DABS does not do this training or provide training packages.  Instead, contact DHS at Phone: (801) 538-4171 or Email: for more information.

Manager Training

SIGN UP AND PAY ONLINE HERE    Note: To sign up for training you MUST have your DABS license number.


A "manager" includes owners and employees that act in a supervisory or managerial capacity over the furnishing of an alcoholic product.

  • EVERY MANAGER currently working in a DABS retail licensed business must complete a required manager training class within 30 days of hire.
  • New applicants for a DABS license and their managers will be required to have the training as a condition of obtaining a license.
  • NOTE:  Applicants who were approved conditionally by the commission may wait to complete the manager training until they are ready to open.

The same requirements apply for off-premise beer licensees, except:

  • The training applies only to individuals who manage operations of the licensee.
  • Remember to sign up for the correct off-premise manager training class. 

The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Services has two manager training program options:

  1. In-person
  2. Online

While we recommend the in-person option, which provides for a lively Q&A session, we understand that scheduling conflicts do happen and our online programming is just as robust (though quite lengthy).  The training fee is always $25.00 per person for either in-person or online classes.

  • In-person training will take place each month at the Taylorsville State Office Building located at 4315 South 2700 West Taylorsville, UT 84129.

To access the online training, the participant taking the class (or their employer) must have an alcohol license application that has been accepted by the DABS and has a license number assigned to them or has a current alcohol license from the DABS.  Be sure to fill in the "Additional Information Field" which will require the following details to be typed in:

  1. Participant's first and last name
  2. Participant's date of birth
  3. Participant's last four digits of their social security number
  4. Business name (place of employment)
  5. The DABS alcohol license number
  6. Participant's email address
  7. Participant's phone number

    Once we have verified your information, an email will be sent by the following business day with a link to watch the video and take a test. Within approximately one week, a certificate will be available for the participant to print - GO HERE.

    You Can look up Trained Servers & Managers / Print a Certificate


    There is a web-based registry for the people who have been certified to serve or manage alcohol service in Utah. It is maintained by the Division of Substance Abuse and called the Alcohol Server Training System. You can use it to search for the name of a certified server or manager. You may also use the system to verify the term of a server's certification and when it expires. You may also print certificates.